Mountain Navigation Skills
Our guided walks and expeditions will inevitably improve your ability to navigate and look after yourself in the mountains. We also offer sessions targeting the specific skills and techniques of navigation using map and compass. Topics covered include:
- Choice of maps for mountain navigation
- Interpreting scales, symbols and contours
- Setting the map
- Navigation techniques using the map
- How to keep track of where you are - distance, timing and pacing
- Use of the compass - taking & following a bearing
- Navigational strategy - route planning, breaking the route into sections, relocation
- Winter navigation skills and strategies (dependent upon season!)
A final check on the day's route!
Whether you are a complete beginner, have some experience and wish to improve your level of skill and confidence or wish to develop your winter navigational skills, we can tailor a day to suit your aspirations.
Reviewing progress - Glen Affric
Please contact us to discuss your requirements.